The Insane Waiter

Running wild on customers, chefs, owners and managers since 1997. I bring to you, The Insane Waiter. What do bring to your table? A crisp bottle of San Pellegrino ? Perhaps a lovely seared Sashimi Tuna? Start off with a wonderful bottle from Tuscany perhaps? Why I'll be more than happy to bring you your White Zinfandel and Chicken Caesar. No you can't order the mac and cheese off the kids menu and sorry no, we don't serve cheese sticks....

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Out of town

So yeah, taking my vacation after all.

I covered my shift by trading for a crappy Saturday lunch shift, which I promptly gave away to someone else. Even though I still feel it was management's responsibility to cover a shift that was in the middle of my vacation.

Here's how unreasonable and irresponsible this whole thing turned out to be. Not only was I the first person to request off that day, apparently I was the only person. So it was not like there was a deluge of requests that had to be met, so pretty much there was absolutely no reason to be scheduled.

Since scheduling manager was no help I went to her nominal superior, we'll call him the "good" manager. Every store has one, and usually they are the only reason things go right.

In asking for an explanation of why I was scheduled in the middle of my time off when it was apparent that I would be out of town, I found out a few things.

First off he told me that the scheduling manager thought she was doing us a favor by only scheduling us one shift during our vacation. That way it would be easy for us to cover said shift by trading or giving up the shift to another employee.

Except two people were disciplined because no one could trade of pick their shift up. They technically could have even been fired.

Here's a favor, if I'm out of town and have communicated this fact with you, don't fucking schedule me. I shouldn't have to scurry around looking for someone to work for me. What if I can't find someone?

Am I supposed to drive back, work the one crap shift, and then continue my vacation? Am I supposed to give up my vacation for only one shift?

So I communicated with management and told them they had six employees that they did this to and that we are all ready to head up to human resources for a little chat if this situation is not resolved.

This issue has been taken to the GM, so we'll see what happens.

Other than that I'm off, catch you all next week!

4 Comments:

At 3:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any "discipline" short of termination is meaningless, and if you're fired it's probably a much greater inconvenience to them than it is to you, so who cares what anybody does? I mean, honestly, until restaurants start treating the staff like people, who gives a shit what they want? It's the definition of a throwaway job.

 
At 9:04 AM , Blogger caramaena said...

Enjoy your break!

Hopefully the issue is resolved easily.

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger Rose said...

I've been reading your blog for a LONG time, Waiter. PLEASE keep writing. You, among a few other very good writers, have inspired me to start my own blog about my work experiences. Please check it out and let me know what you think. I just got it off the ground but I think you'll find it entertaining. My business is a little different than yours but the idiots are all the same. LOL!

 
At 10:13 AM , Blogger Mrs. Wendi Mac said...

Oh Jesus, reading this I totally see my operations managers doing this. Luckily, since I work in the sales department, I can do as I please with my schedule. However, they tend to screw with schedules anytime we have a private event in the venue and not schedule enough servers/bartenders DESPITE me telling them two weeks in advance how many we will need by service standards - or they will put down the wrong day on the server schedule and we will have an overload the day prior to a big event happening because apparently "Tuesday" and "Monday" look exactly the same on my events list I send out - and they don't know how to read my e-mails.

What makes me sad about the whole thing is the "good manager" doesn't do the scheduling, instead the throw him in to deal with all the angry customers...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home