The Insane Waiter

Running wild on customers, chefs, owners and managers since 1997. I bring to you, The Insane Waiter. What do bring to your table? A crisp bottle of San Pellegrino ? Perhaps a lovely seared Sashimi Tuna? Start off with a wonderful bottle from Tuscany perhaps? Why I'll be more than happy to bring you your White Zinfandel and Chicken Caesar. No you can't order the mac and cheese off the kids menu and sorry no, we don't serve cheese sticks....

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Greatest Article Ever...

This article comes from an Austin TX alterative newspaper...

Quite possible the greatest article ever written bout our industry, motivations and train of thought.

It pretty much sums up every thought I have about the state of our business.

If you have time check it out, customer, bartender or server, I know it will interest you

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2005-11-04/food_feature.html

4 Comments:

At 11:04 PM , Blogger Sketchy said...

...the article hit a nerve when mentioning "campers" - especially tonight. Tables are "real estate" for earning income - for both the house and the waiter. Lawyers calculate "billable hours", and doctors charge for an "office visit". Waiters should get paid for the 2 hours that the 3 old "Chatty Cathy's" take 20% of a section out of service while sipping hot tea with a grilled cheese sandwich. They'd be the first ones to complain if 20% of their social security check was missing.

 
At 7:03 PM , Blogger Waiter said...

Hey, trash is trash, no matter what the color or income.

Please leave racial names off comments however.

 
At 2:29 AM , Blogger waltoncad said...

All great points...I printed the article and taped it up in the kitchen...Everyone wondered who had done it, but NOONE, not even the manager or owner took it down...We all agreed for once, and I was much "bally-hooed" after revealing that I had left it there! Can you tell that I have been drinking since getting off of work tonight? My pockets are loaded with cash again, and it is 2:30 am....Well hook me up with a link, I have started reading you often now...Stuck in the land of "sweet teas" ande "Seperate tickets" until my wife PCS's from Florida...

 
At 1:32 PM , Blogger Tom said...

A better way to handle the situation is that as soon you notice that there is cash say "I'll be right back with your change" If they want the change they won't say anything, if it is your tip they will tell you at that point, e.g. "no, that's for you" or the like. This avoids the perceived subtext of "is this my tip?" "i'm too lazy to walk to the cash register and back" whether intended or not.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home