The Insane Waiter

Running wild on customers, chefs, owners and managers since 1997. I bring to you, The Insane Waiter. What do bring to your table? A crisp bottle of San Pellegrino ? Perhaps a lovely seared Sashimi Tuna? Start off with a wonderful bottle from Tuscany perhaps? Why I'll be more than happy to bring you your White Zinfandel and Chicken Caesar. No you can't order the mac and cheese off the kids menu and sorry no, we don't serve cheese sticks....

Monday, December 11, 2006

I've Been Tagged!

Ok, I normally don’t do blogger things like memes or tags or anything but I was tagged by Strip Club Server and she’s a sexy beast so I better comply, beside, I really don’t talk too much about my real life outside the restaurant so here we go!

5 things about me that you don’t know.

1. You know I’m a wine snob, damn White Zin drinkers! Well I also am a beer snob. I actually don’t look down on customers, friends, et al, that order domestics. Except maybe the “Boooosh Light” and “Keeeeeeers” . So when I go out I pretty much drink good stuff like Czechovar, Spaten and any type of IPA that I can find, pretty much stuff that will put hair on your chest, and evidently your back as well. Plus I’m a big fan of Brew Pubs, if you’re from the central Iowa scene you’ve probably seen me bellied up at Court Ave or hanging out at the “Coon”. And although I may be a beer snob, really there is nothing like an ice cold PBR on a hot summer day.

2. I am absolutely terrified of public speaking. Which is very strange considering that I get up in front of strangers everyday and speak for a living. Not only that but I usually go on a lengthy and detailed spiel about any features and such. I’m finally taking a speech class and I’m pretty sure I’m going to wind up having an anxiety attack in front of everyone. This all stems from a business law class I took and halfway through a presentation I froze and forgot everything I was talking about. I stumbled through the rest and decided law isn’t the right career for me. Evidently selling a twenty top on the virtues of Ruffino Gold label is ok though.

3. In high school I once had my paintball gun confiscated from me by the police for shelling our arch-rival’s school busses with them. As well we did all kinds of fun stuff to incoming freshmen such as chase them around with paddles (I know, we stole that one) shooting them with paintballs and spraying them with super soakers filled with Kool-Aid, nice sticky mess. Pretty much a bunch of hick style fun straight out of Dazed and Confused. By the way my Mom knows nothing of these events, but she will now I suppose!

4. I’m a huge movie buff, have about 300 DVD’s and a Netflix subscription. Going to see Apocalyto tomorrow, and really I don’t think this one will be anti-semetic. Top movies in my list are The Big Lebowski, All Quiet on the Western Front, Caddyshack and Goodfellas. As well I’m starting to collect television series such as my personal favorite Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Sopranos, of course, next up Buffy!

5. I absolutely love history. I take every course I can take, though unrelated to my major, and probably should teach it. Unfortunately I probably make more as a server and I really don’t have the patience to try to get through to a bunch of kids that probably don’t care and are more concerned about degrading a kid that want to learn or purging their lunch before they gain a calorie. That being said for some reason I find the decline of civilizations interesting, there’s something about being at the end of something that is kind of special, if a bit sad. I always find it interesting that the Aztecs foretold the end of the world, and it pretty much came true on the year that they predicted,, So I read about the fall of Rome, destruction of Nazi Germany, the fall of Alexander’s Empire, pretty much the end of decadent societies. It can be noted that there are many parallels to our own, I could list some, but that would be a bit preachy and a downer.

Well there you go, a few absolutely random things about me. If you want to know more, field a question! I might answer it. I’m not really going to tag any bloggers, especially since pretty much all of my little circle has already been tagged by others! Catch you next time everyone

13 Comments:

At 8:20 AM , Blogger Ceetar said...

'central iowa scene' is there such a thing?
I enjoy brew pubs too, and I tend to frequent the bars that have 400 different bottles or 100 beers on tap.

I read an article in the New York Times a couple of months ago where this beer guy make a meal and paired it with a beer, and then challenged all the wine(I can't remember or spell the word for it)-pairer guys to find a wine that fit the meal better, and they couldn't do it.

 
At 11:38 AM , Blogger Wide Lawns said...

But I LOVE pink wine! Its so pretty. I heard it was back in style and thus, is acceptable to wine snobs once more.

 
At 12:12 PM , Blogger Eric said...

Agree with you on the beers. So much so that I started making my own about 10 years ago. Saves a lot of money and it is usually pretty good. And when I burn out on the home brew ales a good crisp PBR really hits the spot.
Whas SW said about the wines. it used to be so chic to snipe about wines but we were in Nantes in 98 for a wedding. It was August and Europe was undergoing a severe head wave. All the resteraunts served this lovely chilled Loire Blush in these ubiquitous grey stoneware decanters. The wine was perfect and not too sweet. Though my personal favorites are big bold reds.

 
At 12:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ceetar, the word you're looking for is sommelier.

 
At 1:11 PM , Blogger theinspector said...

It is nice to find that someone else truly appreciates the quality of a film like the Big Lebowski.

You should definitley try the Stone IPA if you have not already. They make a great IPA and the Arrogant Bastard Ale is their best all around beer.

 
At 5:32 PM , Blogger Waiter said...

Yes, there is a "Central Iowa Scene" It mostly involves cow tipping and snipe hunting. Lotsa booze with lotsa guns. Lol

 
At 12:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF there was an "ad" on your site that i had to click a link to "skip" to get to the post. again, wtf?

 
At 12:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

stone is definately a great IPA. If you get the chance you should try the smuttynose IPA, its awesome.

 
At 9:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So your the smuck with faded,frayed black would be Dockers with white socks standing at the bar. I knew that was you.

p.s is that D. R. next to you?
He's still my HERO

 
At 10:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second inspectorguy's opinion on the stone ipa and ABA. Stone makes a few other good beers too, but their names escape me at the moment.

 
At 2:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Ruffino Gold Label. I'm also a big fan of Gattinara.

 
At 7:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Public speaking: remind yourself of all the times you've sat watching a speaker and wanting, with every cell of your being, for them to succeed. Wanting them to speak (maybe stutter, maybe 'um', but still speak), waiting for the finish, the relief, the nods of acceptance that hey, that wasn't so bad, maybe some congratulatory pats or smiles.

Then realize that this is your audience. They are rooting for you. They will forgive stutters and ums if you just make it to the end bravely, head up and face radiating certainty.

Everyone is terrified of speaking, so just seeing you make it through is liberating for all.

You'll be mayor in no time.

 
At 12:15 AM , Anonymous spritt said...

I know this is very old, but it's funny how many servers I've met who hate public speaking- I'm terrified of it myself, acutally tried to get over it in college and took a class but had to drop it- crazy anxiety at my first "speech". Cudos on the Buffy, btw.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home