The Insane Waiter

Running wild on customers, chefs, owners and managers since 1997. I bring to you, The Insane Waiter. What do bring to your table? A crisp bottle of San Pellegrino ? Perhaps a lovely seared Sashimi Tuna? Start off with a wonderful bottle from Tuscany perhaps? Why I'll be more than happy to bring you your White Zinfandel and Chicken Caesar. No you can't order the mac and cheese off the kids menu and sorry no, we don't serve cheese sticks....

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Ask The Waiter

Hmmm, I kinda like this ask the waiter deal.

Next thing you know I'll have a segment on "J.C. Slick and the Booger" on a.m. talk radio.

So here we go.

Hi, Insane. I've read your blog for a while, but have never posted a question. I'm hoping you might have time to answer this question because if I am making a server go through extra steps, I really do not want to not do it anymore. My question is this - I love coffee, so whenever the server asks if I want more coffee, I say yes. Often this works out to 3-5 cups of coffee at a time and we go to this restaurant twice a week. I try to make up for it by tipping 20% post-tax, and I *never* wave her (we ask for the same server each time) over. Should I say no after the second cup? Is she is just being extra kind by offering me cup after cup? I feel like an idiot asking, but, believe me when I type that I am sincere. Thank you, in advance.

Well she is offering.

She must like you then!

You seem to ask politly and probably have officially become "her" regular.

Yes, you may be putting her through extra steps, more than one refill seems to be in that area especially if the server is busy.

She is being kind by offering, but that is also entailed in her job, to ask for refills.

Seems you tip on the high end of standard so she probably doesn't mind too much, being as TIPS does stand for "To Insure Proper Service."

And yes I know that isn't what it originally meant by tips, but meanings change with the times, that goes out to you enraged nit-picking civilians there.

Try throwing her a little extra for your appreciation!

You seem happy with her, so maybe 20-25% pre tax?

Whatever you feel comfortable with.

2 Comments:

At 10:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be nice if ALL customers were this considerate?

 
At 1:26 PM , Blogger Sketchy said...

...typically, coffee cups are small, so it is easy to drink 3 or 4 cups. I'm glad you don't grab the server's attention and then point at your (empty) cup. But really, coffee drinkers do seem to think that they are "entitled" to endless refills for the duration of their stay. After awhile it becomes a "nuisance" - in the form of taking up service time for patrons who are just arriving and taking up that piece of "real estate" aka "your section".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home