The Insane Waiter

Running wild on customers, chefs, owners and managers since 1997. I bring to you, The Insane Waiter. What do bring to your table? A crisp bottle of San Pellegrino ? Perhaps a lovely seared Sashimi Tuna? Start off with a wonderful bottle from Tuscany perhaps? Why I'll be more than happy to bring you your White Zinfandel and Chicken Caesar. No you can't order the mac and cheese off the kids menu and sorry no, we don't serve cheese sticks....

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Drunken Retort

"Youre a dip shit Pack it tight and get to work on time. THE WHOLE WORLD KNEW A WEEK IN ADVANCE THAT IT WAS GOING TO SNOW. Plan ahead and quit trying to blaze a new trail back to the stone age. DIP SHIT"

First off nice spelling, one of the semi-frequent criticism I face.

Secondly, if a vehicle gets stuck in the snow, not much you can do about it but find alternate modes of transport, which I did find at much inconvenience to myself and to my employer as I was well over an hour late. I was up a half an hour early in anticipation of poor driving conditions, not anticipating my lot being covered in drifts of snow.

I pushed for not coming in, my time is my time and I’ve always said, if you can’t use me, lose me.

My time was wasted by a timid GM who can’t make an executive decision. I went through great trouble to get to work only to be told I wasn’t needed.

If I ran my own crew I would have assessed the situation in a different manner, a fair manner that took the staff into consideration, something this business rarely does.

I was recently offered the position of service manager and I turned it down, frankly because I value my education and have different goals.

As well I was awarded employee of the month just yesterday, beyond that I have missed three shifts in six years.

That type of employee is one I cast doubt upon when they are stranded by weather or illness.

This business can be B.S. much of the time, and so can many customers and commentators such as yourself, good day sir.

10 Comments:

At 12:44 PM , Blogger Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

Pay no attention to the man behind the anonymous curtain. I'm sure he's never been in that situation before.

As for your dip-shit manager, HE should have 'packed it tight' and done what any manager with two brain cells would have done. A day like that will kill your labor for a week. I'd bet at the end of the week, he was sending cooks home to save labor when they were really needed.

 
At 4:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Sorry your not a dip shit. I was wrong and I misjudged you. You caught me on an off day. Please forgive me and i'll never disagree with any of your post again. There you win.

Friends ?

 
At 7:51 PM , Blogger Tam said...

I check the weather forecast, and if it looks like snow, I park at my work's lot and sleep in the back seat.

When my wife, with a nudge and a wink, asks if I'm coming to bed, I have to say "Sorry hun, I'm packing it tight tonight."

 
At 8:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

See Tam knows what I'm talking about. I'm still sorry I called you a Dip Shit.

 
At 4:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tam sleeps in a freezing car rather than with his wife - both of you are the DIPSHITS

 
At 10:53 PM , Blogger Ridonkulus said...

you know what's sad? you knew how your manager would react (scold you for something that happened beyond your control) and that he would be an ass and make you come into work even if all you guys will do is do b.s. busy work. you could've lied and said you were sick so you could stay home. instead you told the truth and it got you nowhere. guess that means you should just lie to people who can't use common sense.

 
At 4:44 PM , Blogger Tam said...

Is there a way to post and politely point out to someone that you were being sarcastic, without it sounding condescending?

After pondering this question for a few minutes, my preliminary thoughts are no, it is not.

So here goes nothing...

Marco,

My post was meant to illustrate the ridiculous and debilitating lengths one would have to go to in order to never be late for work under any circumstances. In so doing, it was meant to mock anonymous and his "packing your shit tight" philosophy.

We are actually on the same side here, so less of the dipshit please.

sigh... I feel better now.

 
At 12:40 PM , Blogger Voodoo76 said...

ALways love your blog posts. If you don't mind, I have a similar story on my blog(shameless plug.....)

http://neverfar76.blogspot.com/

Let me know what you all think!

Thanks!

 
At 2:40 PM , Blogger 6th Floor blog said...

Dude, Why didn't you just shovel a couple of days in advance? I mean..duh.

 
At 4:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK tam you are off the dipshit list and I will add my name. Good day sir.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home