The Insane Waiter

Running wild on customers, chefs, owners and managers since 1997. I bring to you, The Insane Waiter. What do bring to your table? A crisp bottle of San Pellegrino ? Perhaps a lovely seared Sashimi Tuna? Start off with a wonderful bottle from Tuscany perhaps? Why I'll be more than happy to bring you your White Zinfandel and Chicken Caesar. No you can't order the mac and cheese off the kids menu and sorry no, we don't serve cheese sticks....

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Ya, The Food Court is That Way...

Alright, the last post kind of had me thinking, that's why this is the continuation of the aforementioned post.

A restaurant is a business, we are there to do, well, business...

You come in, purchase a product, service, and other forms of hospitality, even time in your seat.

So imagine my chagrin when such things are taken advantage of.

A couple weeks ago I had a six top come in, they were waiting for two others, when I came back they were there and I asked about their order.

"Oh, we're not eating anything, I take a water with lemon."

So later on upon returning to their table with the order, I was shocked to see the two joiners pull out a whole spread from their purses.

They had bread, deli meat, condiments, and cheese out on the table. Even little crackers for side dishes.

And they just looked at me...

The things I wanted to say.

We're Not A Food Court!

It's fine if you want your own little dinner, that's what the food court is for, or the park, or the cafeteria at your office

I've seen whole tables whip out their own condiment, or dressing.

I understand some may have dietary needs so I usually don't make a stink about dressings and such.

However, an entire dinner is something else...

Which brings me to my next post...

11 Comments:

At 2:08 AM , Blogger S. K. L. said...

Dude, I'm actually jealous of your rants. You thought of it before me!! So far I've read three of them and have been able to relate to all 3, unfortunately. Makes for a good read and a good laugh. Being a server at a chainer for over a year now and desparately looking for a way out, I eagerly anticipate the movie "Waiting" which is also suppose to hit upon several of the situations we are put in through our job. And your writing is very efficient. Maybe writing can be your way out. But then you wouldn't have all this material! Peace out homey.

 
At 5:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope this story ends with their sorry behinds being asked to pack their picnic and "take it outside" where it belongs. I've never worked in the industry, but can understand common curtesy, and the fact that it is a business, meant to pay the bills of all the employees. Doing something as low-class as that is just unbelievable, as well as being against health department codes I'm sure.

 
At 2:04 PM , Blogger The Server said...

Nice. I've had people come in and ask for hot water, only to pull out their own tea bags. I charge them for hot tea.

By law, the only thing you are allowed to bring into a place like a restaurant is bottled water. Anything else that comes out of a purse or handbag is getting rung up. Cha-ching!

 
At 4:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the following post from the Food Whore's website: http://www.thefoodwhore.com/archives/2005/03/balls_of_steel.html

It never ceases to amaze me just how tacky some people can be!

 
At 8:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a question - what word is "Ya" supposed to be? See it all over this blog but don't actually know what it means... just one of the downsides of being English I suppose!

 
At 8:29 PM , Blogger The Server said...

To the anon from across the pond. ..

"Ya" can be used in two ways in American slang.

It can be used in place of "yes." It goes from "yes" to "yeah" to "ya" (sounds like "yah"). All the same.

It can also be used in place of "you." In this case, it's pronounced "yuh." Hope this clears things up. Loved the Beatles and Led Zeppelin.

Cheers.

The Server

 
At 10:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you must have been the overly femme server we had the other day. You remind me of a anal (no pun) jack from will and grace

 
At 4:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya, you're like school in summertime...

No class

 
At 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya hey I remember you...

I put visine in your coffee I think, hope your ass felt good the next day!

 
At 10:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once took over a restaurant, and I couldn't get it through this polish lady's head that NO, she could NOT have a party for free and NOT pay for the banquet room, and NO she couldn't bring in all her food for her party and not purchase any from the restaurant as we don't work or operate as a charity case, and NO she could not bring her own booze. sheesh
doreenT40 at bigredy
(how many does it take with that lightbulb thingy???)

 
At 8:49 AM , Blogger Kathleen said...

I can't even believe that people would do such a thing - and that they didn't get thrown out immediately!!!

And I do happen to take my own teabag with me sometimes, but only pull it out when I find out that the restaurant doesn't have herbal tea. I realise that tea drinkers are the bane of a server's life, so I don't do it often, but some of us really can't have caffeine - either doctor's orders or it makes us jittery. And if it's a cold night a cup of tea while others have their coffee warms us up. And I always tip more than 15% and hate it when I see people getting out the calculator to figure out exactly 15%. I just take ten percent of the total and then double it. Easiest way to tip.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home