The Insane Waiter

Running wild on customers, chefs, owners and managers since 1997. I bring to you, The Insane Waiter. What do bring to your table? A crisp bottle of San Pellegrino ? Perhaps a lovely seared Sashimi Tuna? Start off with a wonderful bottle from Tuscany perhaps? Why I'll be more than happy to bring you your White Zinfandel and Chicken Caesar. No you can't order the mac and cheese off the kids menu and sorry no, we don't serve cheese sticks....

Friday, December 23, 2005

Ah, Christmas Spirits

So I had a table of four come in tonight...

A family, son at home on break and the daughter.

As I go around to take drink orders there are waters for the kids and Bacardi Cokes for the 'rents.

Upon dropping of the libations the young man and lady order a Corona and Bacardi Diet.

(Must be going south for vacation)

Well they look borderline for sure, especially the daughter, the closer I look the younger they appear.

I answer with a cheery, "Sure thing, could I bother you for your ID?"

Both the youngsters start to fidget uncomfortably.

"We don't have our ID's"

The parents just stare at me, neither one attempting to vouch

I see the young lady's purse next to her.

No ID's my ass.

"Sorry folks, I can't." Is my answer.

All look pissed.

I finish them up later and pick up my server wallet.

Eight bucks on a $79 check.

And yes they received good service, I was polite and I do know when I stink up the joint.

Asshole parents.

That one drink would mean my job if I was questioned on it.

Screw 'em, I'd rather get a shitty tip than hit the bricks on Christmas Eve looking for employment, especially when I don't have rent covered yet.

Well on a brighter note I hope everyone has a great Christmas.

And yes, it is Christmas...

12 Comments:

At 12:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did the right thing. Not only could you have gotten fired but you can get into trouble for serving a minor, if they were in fact underage. The fact that the parents were taking it out on you, when you were just doing your job, just shows their ignorance

It's one of the prices you pay to wait on people. No matter what, there will always be stupid/ignorant people and they will no doubt end up in your section every time (or so it seems)

Merry Christmas!

 
At 12:33 AM , Blogger Sketchy said...

ZERO TOLERANCE means just that! Where Sketchy is from, not only could it cost your job, you could end up in front of a judge and find yourself paying a hefty fine zshtt

 
At 3:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the laws in this regard are BS and can't blame 'em for trying. But blaming or punishing the server who can lose his job, license, even face criminal repercussions in some areas? Screw them.

I'm a waitress myself, for what it's worth.

 
At 7:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody knows the laws and shame on the parents for pretending different.

 
At 1:11 PM , Blogger Segue said...

Parents are allowed to give alcohol to their children, yes? Or is the law somehow different for restaurants?

 
At 10:35 PM , Blogger Hopeful Indian said...

Amazing blog here...probably serve me well going to an american restaurant later in life :) Hope you had a merry christmas and here's wishing your dreams come true this new year!

If you like computer problem cartoons check them out at my blog http://www.sillygloop.blogspot.com Categorized cartoons: http://spaces.msn.com/members/sillygloop/

Have a nice day. C'ya!
Vijay

 
At 10:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Wisconsin, it is legal for parents/guardians to order alcohol for their children in bars and restaurants. However, while it is legal, it is the establishment's choice if they want to do it or not. Most choose not to.

 
At 9:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You never said if the daughter was hot.

 
At 8:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you made the right choice. In Michigan, we can't serve liquior or beer after 9 p.m. on Christmas Eve. We need to have all of the drinks off of the tables at 9- no exceptions. We didn't get too much gruff about that. But, I however did get no tip on a table that thinks that I control how much fat is on the ribs (2 dinners sent back and meals comped). The table behind them (not my table either) left me $5 when they overheard me bitching. So, that was super-cool!

P.S. I am totally with you on the gift card thing!

 
At 11:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rest assured, if the daughter was hot he would have mentioned it - please note Bacardi DIET = moose!

 
At 12:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was bartending one night and this guy comes in, probably 45-50 yrs old, and his date looked in her 20s, cute, I figured she was old enough - he had 7&7, she had a strawberry daquiri. My mgr came in the bar and asked if I'd carded her (oops!). Crap, so I went over and asked to see her ID, and of course she had forgotten it. Double crap. I tell her "Sorry, I can't serve you" and I move to take her drink. She tells me "no way, it's too late now!" and picks up her drink, and puts the straw in her mouth. Now I'm pissed - too late my ass - I snatched the glass right out of her hand and then the shit really hit the fan - 7&7 was furious, can't say I blame him - I wonder how much he was paying for his "date". I ended up having to throw both of them out of the bar, and was lucky I didn't get written up. Last time I ever hesitated to card someone.

 
At 6:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waiterrant would have known they were underage before they stepped in the door.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home