The Insane Waiter

Running wild on customers, chefs, owners and managers since 1997. I bring to you, The Insane Waiter. What do bring to your table? A crisp bottle of San Pellegrino ? Perhaps a lovely seared Sashimi Tuna? Start off with a wonderful bottle from Tuscany perhaps? Why I'll be more than happy to bring you your White Zinfandel and Chicken Caesar. No you can't order the mac and cheese off the kids menu and sorry no, we don't serve cheese sticks....

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Asshat of the Day

So as I was kinda standing around during a lull period I observed this asshat get up from his table.

The first thing he did was walk into the neighboring section and grab a table without asking and push it again his party's.

Apparently the table set up for him wasn't good enough so he felt he could just get up and do anything he wanted.

Too bad the section was mine and I was holding the table so my 1:00 eight top could be seated.

Then he turned around and walked up to Kelly.

She was at her table taking an order with a stack of menus under her arm.

Without saying a word to her he grabs one and the whole stack falls to the ground.

He just walked away as she stood there, not one word.

I almost wish it would have been me, then there would be a more amusing story about how I left a job rather than calling the up and telling them off.

So poor Kelly is standing with a mess around her feet and my eight top goes somewhere else.

I lost out of maybe $20, she lost dignity.

I don't know which is worse.

11 Comments:

At 10:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate that. I Hate That. I REALLY hate that.

Poeple don't understand that when setting up for big tops, finesse is required.

You didn't get the extra two top - BECAUSE it's in someone else's section, or because I wanted a table other than yours to occupy my next couple of hours...

just because it's tight...

Or you think you're entitled to extra elbow room...

Doesn't make the dining room any less crowded.

Every seat is supposed to make money - not only for the waitstaff but for the restaurant. If you don't like to set up - move up. Pay more the extra $$ is not only for the increased service it pays for the elbow room.

 
At 12:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where the heck are your managers during all of this?

 
At 12:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't let people get away with that shit. All you have to do is say "Excuse me sir, this table is reserved" and drag it back where it belongs. If he complains, tough shit. Let your manager pacify him, that's his job. The same thing happened to you when you had the smoking section, and you wimped out there too. I'm really pissed off that you let people walk all over you like that. Maybe I should switch to decaf.

 
At 2:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude sounds like a doormat. What exactly does someone have to do for him to stand up and correct them?

 
At 2:52 PM , Blogger Waiter said...

Maybe managers don't back up their staff. Ever work in a restaurant? Its all about the customer, most have to do something very extreme to be kicked out or reprimanded. Hell they'd rather have us pay out of our own pocket if a table walks on the bill rather than call the police for God's sake.

 
At 3:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, he's just flat out passive aggressive. Confronting the patron in an appropriate but firm manner would stand up for the restaurant, himself, and other customers. But he instead says "I'm so angry! I'll show them, I'll go post about my frustration and anger on a blog, calling the idiot 'customer' all sorts of choice names!"

It's the wimpy way out, but most of us in service industries do it, myself included. Most often it just happens in conversation with friends/co-workers and not in blog form. It's a cheap way to feel better about yet another way some jerk is screwing us.

 
At 9:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading this guy and Bitterwaitress and Waiterrant I think I'm tipping too much. 10% should be enough for people who obviously hate me for breathing their air.

 
At 10:32 PM , Blogger MissJester said...

I like the term "ass hat." I think someone is fan of the movie "Office Space." :-D

 
At 9:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Secret: I used to manage a restaurant. If one of my staff came to me with an issue like the smoking section or this asshat, I would have backed him up.

On more than one occasion, I had 'customers' tell me, "Well, we'll take our business elsewhere!"

To which I replied, "Thank you. Good bye."

Insane Waiter needs to work at a place where they give a crap about him.

I mean, most of those customers won't be back anyway. But the waitstaff I had to work with every day. If I wanted them to watch my back, I felt obligated to watch theirs.

OTOH, I have worked a few places where that attitude did not prevail. And guess what? The employees were robbing the place blind.

 
At 5:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Insane Waaaaiiitterrrr, come out and plaaaaayyyyy

"clink, clink, clink"

Insane Waaaaiiitterrrr, come out and plaaa- eeee- aayyyyy...

 
At 5:57 PM , Blogger Waiter said...

Nice Warriors reference

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home